Reporting Concerns

The welfare and protection of children and young people is everyone's responsibility.

If you suspected a child or young person was at risk of abuse, would you know what to do? If you are worried about a child in any way, we are here to help.


If a child is in immediate danger or left alone, you should contact the police directly on 101, and where in need of medical assistance also call an Ambulance (call 999).


Non Emergency

If there is no immediate danger or you need advice or information see below;


If you want to discuss your concerns or need advice e.g. if you not sure whether your concerns are justified, you would like more information about issues like confidentiality or you would like to know what happens next (after you have reported your concerns), do one of the following:

If your are a member of the public and you do not wish to give your name to the Children Customers and Education Services or NSPCC, you do not have to. If you do give your name, you can ask that your identity is not revealed to the parents/carer of the child concerned.

If you are a professional, please note you are required to disclose your name and organisation by law, which will also have to be disclosed to the person with parental responsibility. The only acceptation to this is if you feel it will put the child at further risk of harm, in this instance, you need to state you are a professional at the start of the call and it has to be agreed with the person you have called that you don’t have to disclose their name/organisation in this instance.

If you work with children and families and need to discuss or refer concerns please contact:

Northamptonshire County Council Children Customers and Education Services Initial Contact Team


Call: 0300 126 1000 (extended opening hours)

Also please see the inter-agency procedures and referral form below:

Useful safeguarding Information can also be found in the link below: 

Click here to return to the top